Wildland Fire Information / Fire Restrictions
Wildland Fire News
Pursuant to Ordinance No. 2013-002, an ordinance to restrict fires in unincorporated portions of Routt County during periods of high fire danger, the Board of County Commissioners declared a county-wide Stage 1 Fire Restriction at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, June 29, 2018, and will remain in force until rescinded. The fire restriction applies to all private and state lands outside of municipal boundaries.
Routt County Enters Stage 1 Fire Restrictions
The current fire danger across Routt County ranges from HIGH to EXTREME! Until the County receives a significant moisture to ward off fires, we urge outdoor enthusiasts to remain cautious and continue fire safety practices when working or recreating on public and private lands.
At a minimum, please observe the following precautions:
1. Never, ever leave a campfire unattended; even to go for a short hike. The wind can blow sparks and cause a wildfire.
2. Build only a small fire on bare soil with brush cleared away, and try to use an existing fire ring.
3. Pour water on the ashes and stir them, making sure the ashes and any unburned wood are cold to the touch before leaving.
RouttCountyAlerts is used to send critical communications to the public, from evacuation notices to missing child alerts. Residents and businesses are encouraged to sign up for RouttCountyAlerts to ensure they receive timely emergency notifications when alerts are issued. To ensure you receive notifications, go to www.RouttCountyAlerts.com and enter your contact information, including multiple phone numbers, text and email addresses. Your contact information remains confidential and will only be used for community notifications.
And be sure to follow us on social media for updates and information on safety and preparedness on a regular basis.
Should you have any questions, please call your Fire Protection District Chief or the Routt County Office of Emergency Management at (970) 870-5551. Thank you for your cooperation.
North Routt Fire Protection District
Mike Swinsick - (970) 879-6064
Oak Creek Fire Protection District
Chuck Wisecup - (970) 736-8104
West Routt Fire Protection District
Dal Leck - (970) 276-3796
Yampa Fire Protection District
Machia 'Ky' Cox - (970) 846-2169
Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue
Mel Stewart - (970) 879-7170
- Ready, Set, Go! Your Personal Wildfire Action Plan
- Current Colorado Statewide Fire Restriction Information
- Current National Wildland Fire Information: InciWeb Incident Information System
- Drought Index Monitor: U.S. Drought Monitor