Marriage Licenses

The Routt County Clerk & Recorder's office is issuing marriage licenses by appointment only. 

For an appointment, please call 970-870-5556.


In accordance with the requirements below, a license to marry in Colorado may be obtained from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the Office of the Routt County Clerk and Recorder (except holidays). The License is valid upon receipt, and must be used within 35 days in the State of Colorado.

The fee is $30.00 as of July 1, 2009. Cash, checks or credit cards are accepted (there is a credit card transaction fee). A license issued by another state is not valid to be used / signed in Colorado.  Certified copies are $1.25 per copy.  


The age requirement is:

  • 18 and older - No parental consent is required.
  • Younger than 18 - Judicial approval or court order is required - No exceptions.


Valid identification must be provided by both parties. Example: passport, original or certified copy of a birth certificate, U.S. driver's license (licenses with a black strip that reads 'Not valid for federal identification...' are not accepted), U.S. military I.D., etc.  Identification documents must be current, valid and in English or a certified translation into English.

A Social Security Number is required.  If one or both applicants do not have a Social Security Number, an affidavit stating this must be signed and a copy of the identification will be taken.


Both parties must complete and sign the marriage application form. The application is available below:

If you cannot access the online application, please come in to our office a few minutes prior to the appointment.

In most cases, both parties must appear in person before the marriage clerk in the same appointment. 

A couple already married, who wish to renew their marriage vows, or those who have a common law marriage may obtain a license by stating that they are married to each other.

Applicants for a marriage license need not be Colorado residents.

When filling out the online marriage license application, all information for both parties must be complete in one application in order for the information to be received in our office correctly.  All information in red is required. Parental information (if known) and divorce information (if applicable) are also required fields. Father's full name (first, middle and last) and Mother's full name (first, middle, maiden and last) is the correct format.  Divorce information required is the exact date of the divorce, the name of the Court and the city and state of the court.


What to Bring to the Appointment:

* The two (2) individuals getting married (we are a small office so we ask that you keep your group to just the two of you - children okay to bring).

* Identification for each.

*Transaction number from submittal of marriage application online.

* $30.00 for the license and $1.25 for each certified copy.


Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (C.R.S. 14-2-109). Others who can solemnize a marriage are judges, retired judges, magistrates, public officials authorized to perform marriages, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by a religious denomination or Native American Tribe or Nation. Not everyone can solemnize a marriage. Although the couple may solemnize their own marriage, that does not mean a friend or relative can also solemnize their marriage. Clergy from out-of-state need not be registered in Colorado.

How To Fill Out A Marriage License


The marriage license must be used within 35 days including the date of issue.  The license must be completed fully with legible handwriting (except signatures) and returned to the County Clerk and Recorder within sixty-three days after solemnizing. Any person who fails to return the marriage certificate to the County Clerk and Recorder's office to record after the ceremony may be required to pay a $20 late fee and an additional five dollar late fee may be assessed for each additional day of failure up to a maximum of $50.  If the license is not used, it still must be returned to the Clerk's office.  


Witnesses are not required in the State of Colorado. Some clergy, judge or public official may request them.

Blood Test

As of July 1, 1989, blood tests are not required in Colorado.


A proxy marriage may be performed if:

  * One party to the proxy marriage is a Colorado resident and

  * One party is a member of the armed forces of the United States who is stationed in another country or in another state in support of combat or another military operation or is a  government contractor or an employee of a government contractor working in support of the armed forces of the United States or in support of the United States military operations in another country or in another state.

 * Both parties (and the proxy) are 18 years of age or older.

 * One party appears in person to apply for the marriage license and pays the required fees.

Self-solemnization is not allowed in a marriage by proxy.

If the parties to the marriage plan on having a proxy marriage, one of the applicants must apply in person and provide the following:

 * Original Absentee Application completed, signed and notarized.

 * Copy of the absent party's ID used for notarizing the affidavit.

 * Authorization of Proxy Marriage (Power of Attorney for marriage) completed, signed and notarized.

 * Copy of the military or contractor ID.

 * The proxy for the absent spouse must be the person named on the Power of Attorney form, must have a valid ID and must be present to apply for the marriage license.

Please contact our office for these forms.


If either you or your partner cannot appear at the Clerk and Recorder's office in person to apply for your marriage license, the absent party must complete an absentee affidavit and have it notarized.  The notarized absentee affidavit must be used within 30 days from the date it was notarized.

The party appearing in person must present on the behalf of the absent partner:

 * the completed and notarized absentee affidavit, and

 * a clear and legible photocopy of a valid form of identification of the absent intended spouse (faxes not accepted), and

 * the identification of the absent intended spouse must have the month, day and year of birth.

 * if the absent party does not have a social security number, an affidavit to accompany the marriage license form must be complete and notarized.

 * the absent party's name written on the forms must match exactly to the ID provided.

Colorado recognizes common law marriage as legal and binding.  However, cohabitation alone does not constitute common law marriage.  For more information on common law marriage or to get a sample Affidavit of Common Law Marriage, see the State of Colorado website concerning marriage law.

A common law marriage cannot be terminated except by court dissolution (divorce) or death.