We do not process driver's licenses.
Please contact 970-879-0715 for the Steamboat Springs Driver's License Office.

Public Notice:

 We've been hearing from you that quick searches online have turned up some incorrect and unofficial websites posing as the Colorado DMV. Please be advised that all official websites will have in the URL, and if you have any doubts you should continue your search for the correct website.

For quick access online visit the State of Colorado Website


Implementation of SB 21-069 -Coloradans will no longer be able to transfer plates from an old vehicle to a new vehicle. 

Information About the Upcoming Changes

SB21-069 Frequently Asked Questions


The Routt County Motor Vehicle department is responsible for vehicle titling, registration, lien recordings, collection of revenues, and issuing plates. 

When issuing new titles, temporary registration, duplicate titles, persons with disabilities placard to someone other than the named owner:
Named owner will provide a DR 2175 Power of Attorney for Motor Vehicle Only that will include grantor's (named owner) SVID information.
 *The agent must provide secure and verifiable I.D.

Weight Slips 

For trucks weighing 4,501 - 10,000lbs with an out of state title, a weight slip is required pursuant to 42-3-304(17)(a). A weight slip will also be required for modified and converted vehicles.

Below is contact information for the known businesses in Routt County that provide weight slips. If you are aware of other options, please alert our office to include those as well. 

Alpine Aggregates: (970) 846-4701
Precision Gravel: (970) 276-3359
 MJK Sales and Feed Inc: (970) 824-6581

You must call in advance to schedule an appointment.

Establishing Colorado Residency

All motor vehicles and trailers owned or operated by Colorado residents must be titled and registered within 60 days of purchase or 90 days after becoming a resident of Routt County. Colorado residency is established if you own or operate a business in Colorado, reside in Colorado continuously for 90 days, or you obtain employment in Colorado. Late charges will apply for failure to register vehicles within the times frames listed above. 

Renew online with the State of Colorado

Online services include:

  • Registration
  • Plates & Tabs
  • Disability Placards
  • Emissions
  • International Registration Plan (IRP)
  • Records

Additional online services:

  • Get a New License/ID
  • Renew a License/ID
  • Change a License/ID
  • Payments & Reinstatements
  • Appointments and Hearings
  • Records