- Emergency Communications
- Employment Opportunities
Communications Specialists (Public Safety Dispatchers)
Communications Specialists (CS) are the first contact between the public in need of assistance and the public safety first responders. The actions and quick thinking of Communications Specialists can have a positive impact on a serious situation. This position is a critical link in Routt County’s public safety system. Employment as a Communications Specialists provides the opportunity to assist citizens when they are faced with situations that require fire, police or EMS responses.
This fascinating career field requires a person who can take fragmentary information, assess the needs and dispatch appropriate personnel and equipment within seconds in response to a request for service or assistance. Being a part of our team will allow you to be an important part of the public safety team, save lives, protect property, and have a positive impact on the community.
If a candidate is selected for employment, Routt County Communications will provide 6 months on the Job Training with assigned Communications Training Officers (CTOs). County requirements for certifications in CPR, Colorado Criminal Information (CCIC) and Emergency Medical Dispatch are provided for you by the department. We provide on the job training to give you the working knowledge required to perform the duties of a Communications Specialist.
- High school graduate or GED
- 18 years of age by hiring date
- Typing proficiency of 35 words per minute (3500 keystrokes per hour)
- Pass an extensive background investigation
- Pass a pre-employment hearing test
- Pass pre-employment test that includes position compatibility profile, multi-tasking and problem solving ability testing.
- We utilize the Criticall platform to test job applicants in job-related skills such as data entry, multi-tasking, decision making, position locating, and more.
- We use Select System pre-employment tests, which measure important work-related, personality characteristics predictive of candidate success.
- Vision abilities required including close vision and ability to adjust focus, ability to hear and readily relay information accurately
- Have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Have the ability to make independent decisions in a quick and decisive manner to operate effectively under pressure
- Have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the general public
- Paid vacation
- Sick leave
- Personal Days Off
- Optional medical and dental coverage plans
- Retirement account
- Paid life insurance coverage