Tax Exemption Information
Senior & Disabled Veterans Tax Exemptions
In Colorado, senior citizens who are 65 years of age or older by the year application is made or a person called into military service (pursuant to CRS 39-3.5-101 (1.8)) on January 1 of the year in which the person files a claim may defer (postpone) the payment of their property taxes and special assessment on their residences.
Seniors that were previously approved do not need to reapply.
The Senior Citizen Exemption is available to applicants who:
- Are at least 65 years of age prior to January 1 of the year of application,
- Owned their home for at least 10 consecutive years prior to January 1, and
- Occupied it as their primary residence for at least 10 consecutive years prior to January 1.
The application deadline is July 15.
The application form is available in the Assessor's department page or below and must be submitted to the Assessor's Office before the deadline.
Senior Property Tax Homestead Exemption Forms:
The Disabled Veteran Exemption
This exemption is 50% of the first 200,000 value of your home. The exemption is for primary residence only.
If you have questions please feel free to call the Colorado Division of Veterans Affairs at 303-914-5832 or email at email@example.com.
The Disabled Veteran Exemption is available to property owners who:
- Sustained a service-connected disability while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States,
- Were honorably discharged, and
- Were rated by the United States Department of Veteran Affairs as one hundred percent "permanent and total" disabled. VA unemployability awards do not meet the requirement for determining an applicant's eligibility.
- Owned and occupied the property prior to January 1 of the current year.
The application deadline this year is July 1.
Application forms are available from the Division of Veterans Affairs at the address and telephone number shown below and from the of the Colorado Division of Property Taxation web site.
THE APPLICATION SUBMISSION WINDOW FOR THE 2023 TAX YEAR WILL OPEN AS OF JANUARY 1, 2022 AND WILL CLOSE ON JULY 1, 2022.
Disabled Veteran Exemption Forms:
- Disabled Veteran Property Tax Exemption Application | Instructions
- Application for a Surviving Spouse of Qualified Disabled Veteran
*Completed applications are to be submitted to the Colorado Division of Veterans' Affairs at the following address or Email Staff at Veterans' Affairs
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Colorado Department of Military and Veterans Affairs Division of Veterans Affairs
155 Van Gordon St., Suite 201
Lakewood, Colorado 80228
Phone: 303-914-5832 Fax: 303-914-5835
*Applications received by email will be returned.
School or Charitable Exemption Forms
- School or Charitable Organization Exemption Form
- School or Charitable Organization Exemption Rules
- School or Charitable Organization Exemption Statutes
Religious Exemption Forms
- Requirements for Agricultural Status
- Classification & Valuation Brochure
- HB11-1146 - New AG Bill Information
- Pleasure Horses & Subdivision
*For more information regarding Tax Exemptions and Deferrals, please visit the County Assessor.
*Learn more about rebates and deferral's for the elderly, disabled, and military called into service from the Colorado Division of Property Taxation.