Buying / Selling a Mobile/Manufactured Home

The seller MUST:

  • Ensure that all property taxes have been paid on the mobile home
  • Provide the buyer with a Certificate of Taxes Due. This document is required by law and is issued by the Treasurer's Office. A copy of the title is required in order to issue the certificate. The fee is $10.00 and is due upon issuance of the Certificate.
  • Provide the buyer with a Certificate of Title to facilitate the transfer of ownership
  • By law, provide a listing of the household furnishings included in the sale price

The buyer MUST:

  • Apply for a new title from the Routt County Motor Vehicle Department within 45 days of the sale of a new manufactured home or within 30 days of the sale of a previously owned manufactured home. See attached list of Secure and Verifiable ID needed to obtain a new title.
  • Have the Tax Authentication Form. If the seller did not provide this form, then the buyer must visit the Weld County Treasurer's Office with the title to obtain form. The taxes must be paid in full and the cost for this form is $10.00.
  • The title must be filed in the same county that the home is located in.
  • Be responsible for payment of current years taxes when they become due the following January.


Please be sure to complete the following steps to change the ownership on a Manufactured Home:

  1. Go to the Routt County Treasurer’s Office (522 Lincoln Ave. Suite 22 Steamboat Springs, CO) to get a Tax Authentication form. The title of the home must be presented to receive this authentication and the cost is $10.00. If the taxes have not been paid, they need to be paid at this time. The Treasurer’s Office does require the new owners name for the authentication.
  2. Take the Tax Authentication and original title to the Routt County Motor Vehicle Department to get a new title. 
  3. Take your documents to the Routt Clerk & Recorder’s Office to have them recorded.  *This step is important to ensure the ownership is changed*